Thursday 23 September 2010

Eddie on a Skateboard

I see the most brilliant things on my bike.
I cycled through the quiet back streets of Hackney the other evening, along the cycle route from Angel to Stoke Newington. Incidentally that route is a bobby dazzler, quiet, well signed, lovely. If only they were all like that.

The sun was shining, I was listening to Beirut (with one earphone out, safety people) and generally bombing along happily when I encountered a character who added exponentially to my joy. He must have been at least forty, was wearing a smart navy suit and looked EXACTLY like Eddie Izzard before he lost all that weight running two million marathons. Slightly egg shaped head, goatee, the lot. No stilettos, sadly, but that was made up for by his mode of transport. He was skateboarding. Earnestly and energetically propelling himself up the slight incline, sweating like a swede in a sauna, completely focused on his goal. Whatever that may have been. Home, presumably, because he was going to be in no state for a social occasion by the time he arrived. I was slightly concerned he might pop one of the veins in his big red forehead, but mainly I just wanted to follow him up the hill in order to watch his face change at the crest as he began to freewheel. I imagined it changing from stressed-out executive to eleven year old boy instantly. I'm still a bit excited for him, though he and I are both long gone.

6 comments:

  1. Mr Izzard on a skateboard in high heels would have been something though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Came across your blog from the London Cyclist blog. Hope you don't mind.

    I saw someone who looked just like Hardeep Kohli Singh (I think that's his name...had to google) on a pretty green bike, working his way through traffic on the Bayswater Road a few weeks back.
    Big purple turban in place of a crash helmet.
    Actually...I'm sure it was him...as I looked back in a double take...he shot me that look which said 'yes I'm off the tv...now move along fool'.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I don't mind! I love readers who comment- and I really love that you have been to Iran. Fairly high up my wish list.
    I knew I liked Hardeep. Any man who rides a pretty bike and knows how well green and purple go together is a friend of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a terrific story!

    I had to look up "bobby dazzler". Notwithstanding many long visits to the UK and many British friends, I'd never heard the term before. Now that I know what it means I'm going to find ways to use it.

    I'm really enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Grandad used to call me a Bobby Dazzler. Brilliant phrase.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @allthatremains- yes. the sparkly red ones. Or am I thinking of Dorothy?

    ReplyDelete